Thursday, December 6, 2012

When painting, invest in the slightly more expensive paint.

I've recently gotten into crafting the things I see on Pinterest. There's some really cool stuff on there and it's so much more fun than doing homework or studying. Someone pinned a picture for instructions on how to make photo canvases, where you basically Mod-Podge photos onto canvases. They looked super cool and relatively easy, and since I recently moved in my walls were pretty bare, so it was perfect!

How to make them:
  1. Unless your picture is as big as or bigger than your canvas you need to paint the borders in whatever color you think is appropriate.
  2. Cut up scrapbook paper and Mod-Podge it to the side edges of the photo canvas. This gives it a more 3D frame look.
  3. Mod-Podge (matte, not glossy) the photo onto the the canvas and paint several layers of Mod-Podge over the photo on the canvas to make it look like it's actually printed on the canvas.

For these photos, as you can see, I used black paint for the border. I spent awhile at the store staring at all the different types of paint I could use for this project before finally settling on the super cheap $2 bottle. It was definitely not worth it because I ended up having to paint like five layers to make the border look solid black. It took several days because I had to wait for each coat to fully dry and it was super annoying.

I'm making another set of these with my mom's pictures from Hawaii for her birthday. I switched it up from a black border to a pretty turquoise border, so I had to get more paint. This time I went for the slightly more expensive acrylic paint, and I only had to do two coats. It took approximately 20 minutes to finish up all of them and it looked great. This acrylic paint was only a few dollars more expensive, so I'd say it was worth it.

Note: The photo will cover most of the canvas so it isn't necessary to paint the entire canvas.
I used pretty turquoise scrapbook paper to match and I'm waiting for it to fully dry before I Mod-Podge the photos on!


No comments:

Post a Comment