Sunday, January 15, 2012

I'm really fortunate to have a house.

Seriously. Earlier this week I reported on a story about a family whose house burned down. It was completely burned to the ground and the family lost everything. They didn't have insurance, either. Three of the family members were also firefighters, so the fire department started a fund to help raise money for them.




Then the next day I did a story on how the recent freezing cold weather is affecting different homeless shelters around the area.  I had the chance to talk to a homeless woman who had no choice but to wait in the cold for the shelter to open later that night. After talking to her, I went back to my car and turned the heater on while she went to wait in the cold by the shelter's door.



When I finished writing and editing my stories on both days, I really looked forward to going back to my warm home to curl up in front of the TV and eat dinner. I realized that the family whose house burned down and the woman who doesn't even have a home don't have that luxury to look forward to. While I can barely stand outside in the cold for 10 minutes, some people have nowhere else to go. While I stare at my fridge full of food trying to decide what to have for dinner, some people struggle to find anything to eat.

For the first time I really truly appreciate what I am fortunate enough to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment