Saturday, April 14, 2012

I have legal rights to my roommates things in my apartment.

Way back in November 2010 I signed a lease with my friend for the apartment I'm living in now. We signed for a three bedroom and we were just going to go random for a third. It started out okay when we all moved in, but now our third roommate hates us and I think she might be dead.

Really, though, I believe she is now living with her boyfriend. I haven't actually seen her in weeks and usually the only reason I know she's been home is she'll take her mail from her door.

Slowly, things have been disappearing. It started with the kitchen trashcan. She just took it one day (it was hers) and now we only have these little tiny trashcans that hold nothing. Then she took all of her dishes from the kitchen. With each thing that disappeared the frequency in which I would see her just kept going down. The last thing she took was the filter on our kitchen sink several weeks ago, and after that I've only seen her about twice.

My other roommate and I were discussing this in the MUTV office the other day, and the MUTV adviser chimed in about squatter's rights. He explained to us that if we used whatever thing a lot, and the roommate never did, we could actually claim rights to it. Now there are two very important questions: does our roommate know about this or does she just not want us to be able to use her things? And she has ice cream in the freezer, so if I ate it and she sued me, would this argument hold up in court?

No comments:

Post a Comment