Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Boots doesn't open until 9 a.m.

It started out like any other morning; my alarm went off too early, I snoozed an extra 15 minutes, I finally dragged myself out of bed and made my way to the bathroom. I pumped myself up to get in the shower and experience the absolute worst five seconds of my day.

The shower in my flat points directly at the shower door, so you have to be in the shower with the door closed when it starts or else it will spray water all over the floor. Like any other shower, the water starts out freezing cold. There is nowhere to hide and escape the water. Every morning I have to count myself down and prepare myself to turn on the water and get blasted by ice for a good five seconds before the water warms up. It's easily the worst part of my day. Good thing I shower in the morning, then, because it can only get better from there, right?

Wrong. This morning continued like normal until I was ready to dry my hair. I let most of my hair air dry, but I have to blow dry my bangs because I straighten them (and they need to be complete dry for that). If I don't straighten them, they become a weird curly mess on my forehead. I turn to my roommate's desk where we keep our shared hair dryer, and it's not there. I look around the room a little bit and it's still nowhere to be found. I go into problem solving mode.

My roommate left for work before me, so if she used the blow dryer she would have done it outside of our room. I go check in all the bathrooms. It's not in any of them. I check the kitchen and living room. No luck. I check our room again. It's gone. Unfortunately for me, none of the other 10 girls I live with are awake yet, so I can't just go borrow their hair dryers.

By this time, I should be leaving my flat to get to work on time. I opt for plan B; I'll run to Boots (the U.K.'s Walgreens equivalent) and get a bobby pin to pin my hair back. Boots is in the train station, so I won't be late. I gather up my stuff and head out the door!

I get there and it's closed. Unlike Walgreens, which is open 24 hours, Boots operates normal ours and doesn't open until 9, which is when I need to be at work. I run back home, and by the time I get there my bangs are dry so I just straighten them. Hair disaster averted, but now I'm going to be about 15 minutes late for work.

I use the tube station across the river when I go to work, because I can take one train the whole way there. If I get on at the station closer to me (the one with Boots in it) I have to transfer lines. I take off across the river, and when I get to the station it's closed. The universe is just not on my side this morning. I head back to the other station, and by the time I get there it's 9 o'clock. I should be arriving at work.

I ended up being nearly an hour late, and my hair didn't even look that good. As for the mystery of the disappearing hair dryer, it turns out one of my flatmates borrowed it last night and never returned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment