Thursday, May 8, 2014

I DID learn things in college.

Usually after I take a test in a class, or the semester ends and the class is over, I immediately forget everything that I have learned. That way, my brain can make space for the new things I need to learn for the next test or class. It makes me feel like I haven't really learned anything at all (but I least I walked away with a good grade!).

As my college career starts to wind down, I have started to realize I have learned some things during my four years here at Mizzou. (Please note: this is not an all-inclusive list)
  • Reading your emails (and learning which ones you need to read, which to skim) keeps you in the loop. People who don't read their emails suck and waste everyone's time because then you just have to repeat or explain to them what you emailed them.
  • Textbooks are SUCH a waste of money. More often than not, at the end of the semester I ended up with a $100 textbook I never even touched. So, wait until class starts and see if you really need it, and then even wait until the first exam to see if you really, really need it.
  • Studying abroad was the best experience ever and everyone should do it.
  • All difficult classes should be out of the way before your senior year. Senioritis is very real and you don’t want to make things any more difficult for yourself.
  • I should have taken my capstone in my second to last semester, instead of my very last semester. I learned a lot of things and worked on a pretty cool project, and it would have been nice to be able to put that on my resume (plus take advantage of some of the professional connections I made). But when I started my job search, the project was only just beginning so I didn't have a lot of things to say about it yet.
  • Job searching is the worst thing ever.
  • College was way too short and hands down the best four years of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment